Friday, June 3, 2011

Fun Friday - Ad Week Allows False InfoGraphics!

Next week I will upload some of the Mobile Technology Ads that Ad Week took the money from who are bullshitting more than Social Media Agencies!! But now to the Infographics. They had two Inforgraphics in their Issue and I am going to crack your silly asses up ripping the numbers apart considering they refuse to support the info. This comes from the May 23rd Print Issue!

Let's run through the falsehoods since they give no proof of anything!

A: They fail to define what Socializing is since most people do not own smart phones still this number seems extreme. Is this texting that they mean? It surely isn't the time spent on Twitter and Facebook. Even a heavy user like me who runs a client Twitter feed on my Android doesn't spend this amount of time socializing via Social Media on my phone. 

B: Twitter has 165 Million Accounts! THAT IS NOT THE NUMBER OF USERS! Why do Advertisers and Marketers use these gross numbers vs real numbers. They are so misleading! There are only 30million users world wide using Twitter actively today! And sending 1 Tweet a day is NOT USING TWITTER!

C: I know the number looks big. But $4.2 Billion spent on Apps is less than $1 per year per cell phone that has a subscription service. Even $29.5 billion is small. McDonald's gets more money per customer in one visit.

D: IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR 85% OF CHILDREN TO OWN A PHONE! Unless you count Fisher Price! And is this in the US or World Wide? It is a blatant lie and needs to be shot in the head and buried! If you consider children age 15 and under 33% will be age 5 and under! How many 5 year olds own a phone?

Now for this doozy!

A + B: First of all I can not believe 5 in 7 people in the planet are subscribers. This is FALSE. Considering that we have 2 billion Children (or more!). So every adult in the world is a subscriber? No they are counting every subscription including when you have a personal phone and a work phone. In fact ALL BUSINESS ACCOUNTS ARE INCLUDED!

Secondly if 1 in 10 have a secret phone immediately 500 Million of these lines are not UNIQUES!

C: This number looks daunting but comes down to just a few texts per hour per teen. That is not surprising. If I say 3000 texts a month you go WHOA! If I say well they are up for 15 hours a day and divide 100 per day by 15 and you get 6.67 per hour you think YAWN. 

BTW Remember none of this communication can be seen by anyone. Not Facebook, Twitter, Google Alerts, Radian 6, Klout, NO ONE! Good luck figuring out teens folks by monitoring Twitter, Facebook (oops 70% of Facebook Accounts are 100% private). This proves almost all personal communication is not public.

D: This number I am not shocked at. Because I often use my laptop or check my phone when watching TV. The key here is what does this include? Texting? Surfing the web? Checking Twitter once? That is very important because if I watch 5 hrs of TV and check Twitter a few times that doesn't really mean I am using my mobile phone while watching TV.

E: Lastly this is another example of aggregation of numbers that drives me crazy. 200 million You Tube videos is not a lot per day. In fact it on a worldwide basis it comes out to less than 1 video per mobile subscriber per who has the capability to even watch a video (I low balled 400million have phones that can do this). Like when Facebook announced 250mil videos watched per month which was less than 1/2 a video per Account per month. Not impressive. In fact it's a big failure that more video is not watched on mobile or Facebook.

Chief Alien's Note: We shred all Inforgraphics. The default setting everyone should use for Infographics is False until proven Truthful. Not the other way around.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Mad Magazine helped but I know these are real. Just an example of taking big numbers that look cool and then do too little analysis (short version - I agree with you). I usually look at the pretty pictures and laugh; add that I never remember inforgraphics. I like cartoons with references.

    Video is done cooking. Later.

    ReplyDelete