Monday, October 25, 2010

It's an Operating System Dummy!

"Twitter and Facebook are Operating Systems"

Recite that a few times. Understand it. They are not networks. We are the networks. I have my own. You have your own. Without me or you creating it, it does not exist. If I close my Twitter account, Twitter can not keep my network going without me. So we are the networks. We use tools to do this. We have many tools to create our own social network. Sometimes we use the tools themselves (Facebook, Email, live Phone Calls etc), other times we use 3rd party platforms (think Tweet Deck). Everything is a module that makes my Social Network, and often much activity occurs off line.

So when a Marketer wants to Market via Social Media it really means working your way into someone's Personal Network (or playing field inside a Stadium..onto the field and into the game, invite only). This is not Facebook or Twitter Marketing. It's personal marketing into a private space (aside from Facebook Ads). But to get into the stream of discussion and sharing you must work your way in, past all the permissions and locked doors. Once you are in you can get kicked out any time. Remember that. There is no contract preventing you from being kicked out the moment your value to my Personal Network is not work me letting you stay. You must bring value.

To put this in a better frame of reference. Marketing to people on Facebook or Twitter is no different than trying to market to me via Microsoft Windows. It's not fit, form, and function. You must do special actions to be successful. Most will fail. Remember that, Most will fail and that will never change. Each of us has 1000 Brands screaming to connect with us online Socially, and maybe we have time for 10 or 20. But all 1000 reach us without Social (another thing to remember!)

But for those that don't get on the playing field, but insist they have to connect via Social Media there is always Facebook Ads. Not the same personal interaction and engagement. But you are in the Stadium. But hey that's easy, anyone with money can buy a seat inside the stadium. Only those truly gifted will get on the field playing directly in the game.

Tomorrow I will cover ways to improve your chances to get on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment