Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Three Things, Edition 11

Welcome to the eleventh edition of The Three Things presented by Michael Schechter, GiniDietrich and me! Just a little more than two weeks until Christmas.Wait there is a war on Christmas right? So it is the Judeo-Christian-Pagan Holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice and the days finally getting longer! Hooray for that. Having it get dark at 4pm in Vermont limits my suntanning time!


A Quiet Reflection on Failure, Part I | David Seah
Michael on Failure. I’m a big fan of David Seah, both of his writing and of his products (his Emergent Task Planner changed my game). I’m also a fan of how upfront he is with his approach to his work and where he is at with his endeavors. I’ve only read part one of two (looking forward to part two this weekend, so who knows, it could be next week’s “thing”), but as someone who strives to improve, but often struggles to thrive with the work I do online, I couldn’t help but relate. David’s honesty really helped as I begin to assess my 2012 and make plans for 2013, I hope it will for you as well.

The PC All Over Again
Howie on Disruptive Technologies. This blows my mind. It’s a machine that would ‘print’ 3-D model aerospace parts out of cornstarch. This way a company can ‘print’ the prototypes to get a real feel for size. Even the internal parts are all there. Can you picture going to the new Batman movie with your kid and then printing out the batmobile from the movie without having to go to a store? Can you imagine the pricing disruption? In music, cutting out the middleman meant eliminating packaging, shipping, and more. Think of how eliminating packaging for many things would help the Earth. Hurt brick and mortar. Question is do you pay online for the design from the IP owner? Or do you steal it and print it from a file share?

Nurse Dies After Royal Pregnancy Hoax
Gini on Decency. Did you hear about this prank two Australian DJs played on the nurses at the hospital where Kate Middleton was staying last week? They called in, pretending to be Queen Elizabeth and made their way to the nurse who was tending to the Duchess. The nurse, who thought it was the Queen herself, gave the DJs private information about her healthcare on the air. This article is about the strange twist that includes the death of the nurse who transferred the call without triple-checking the caller was who she thought it was.

Now it’s your turn. Is there a podcast, video, or article you think we need to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment