Saturday, May 19, 2012

Are You Getting Through?

I have a client that makes the most delicious gourmet dessert. It is called a BOO-Yah!! and it is a unique Ice Cream Sandwich made with fresh warm soft cookies sandwiching ice cream made from a local vendor. It is not cheap and made from the most premium all natural ingredients available. The fans are pretty rabid. We have a nice social media community on Facebook and Twitter which we grew organically without any tricks or Facebook ads. 

I have explained to my client that based on the volume of fans and followers vs her sales while Social truly impacts her business, it is not driving her business. One reason is that the platforms are flawed. It is hard to get a Tweet or a Facebook Post seen.

There are simple tests to prove this. You can view stats showing how many click on a Tweet or Facebook Link. You can also do fun giveaways and see how many react.

And what I have found is that people are not seeing the Tweets and Facebook Posts in any sort of volume. I am seeing from 2-4%. Which tells me this is a platform issue. The biggest proof? What if I Tweet that I am giving away one of these to 5,000 people. 

And only 6 people respond.  Or if I do the same on Facebook and get 2 responses. This tells me that I have a platform problem vs a content problem. Because there is a reason 5,000 plus are following my client on Twitter and 3,000 on Facebook. It is because they love the product. They often wait in line for 10, 20, sometimes 45 minutes to get one. And they pay $4.75. But when we give one away on Twitter or Facebook? We get so few responses.

I see this on all Facebook Brand Pages. When Ford Mustang (Passion Brand) has 4 million fans yet can only get 10 people to post on their wall in 12 hours, and only 7,000 per day combined Likes and Comments on their posts. I have to assume it is because their posts are not being seen. 

This is going to get worse. As people grow their networks they will see less and less of the feed. Our time is valuable. If we have time to read 100 tweets per day and 50 Facebook posts per day, that will not change even as traffic in our feed grows 50% or doubles. 


2 comments:

  1. You're right, we've run some great giveaways and it gets lost in the feed. Then you're faced with the quandary: should I be annoying and post again or just let it die in dignity? :) If you post again, you risk annoying people. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided it is ok to post several times. You won't bug people because so few will see it more than once.

    ReplyDelete